Rest easy people! We’re here to tell you everything about healthy habits that will help you sleep better.
1. Know your chronotype: You can be a bear, lion, dolphin, or wolf. This can help you optimize your sleep schedule, improving your overall health and quality of life.
2. Set an alarm at night: Keep your sleep schedule consistent, set an alarm to go to bed just like you’d set one to get out of bed.
3. Pump your heart daily: Do 20 minutes of cardio per day.
4. Use blackout curtains: Keep your room as dark as possible—the darker, the better.
5. Commit to a wakeup time: Waking up at the same time each morning can have an incredibly powerful effect on your sleep quality.
6. Time those beers/wine: Pad your bedtime by one hour for each alcoholic beverage you consume.
7. Keep the windows closed: It’s not just light coming in from the street that can disrupt your sleep; noise can, too.
8. Turn that AC up: The ideal room temperature for sleeping soundly is 67 or 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. Go decaf by 2 PM: Cut out caffeine completely by 2 PM.
10. No more snoozin’: Hitting the snooze button can be a hard habit to break, it interrupts your sleep cycles, causing fragmented sleep.
11. Invest in a smart lightbulb: Replace your current light bulb with a bulb designed to simulate the sunrise to trick your optic nerve and regulate your body’s melatonin production so you wake up better.
12. Sound machine: A machine designed to create white noise or soothing sounds like running water is a great way to drown out the kinds of sounds that disrupt sleep.
13. Get a new mattress: It’s time to get a new mattress if you constantly wake up with aches and pains or your mattress has visible bumps, rips, holes, or sagging.